Apr 20, 2018
PRES 2.01pr - Honorary Degree Recipients : Selection of
The President of the college recommends to the Board of Trustees who approve the granting of honorary degrees.
This procedure will cover the specific criteria for the selection of candidates to receive an honorary degree; the process for the selection of candidates; the number of honorary degrees approved to be awarded in an academic year.
SPECIFIC CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
- Outstanding achievement in the sciences, arts, public life, education, voluntary and civic services, philanthropy, international understanding, business, or the professions.
- Compatibility of achievements or contributions with the mission and goals of the College.
- Outstanding and significant contributions to the college and the community.
- Major contributions to the College which significantly improve student access and success.
PROCESS FOR SELECTION OF CANDIDATES
- Nominations need to be forwarded to the President. To obtain the nomination form, contact the Office of the President.
- Nominations must be in writing, with supporting information. Nominations are to be sent to the Office of the President.
- Nominations will be reviewed and researched by a committee appointed by the President. The committee will include at least one member of the faculty and a member of the Board of Trustees, and may include other appointments from the campus community and the local community. This will be a confidential review process.
- The President shall forward the recommendations of the committee to the Board of Trustees for final approval.
- Upon the candidate’s acceptance of the honorary degree, the degree will be awarded at commencement.
NUMBER OF AWARDS
- Because of the special nature of the honorary degree, the number of honorary degrees awarded in one year shall normally not exceed two, it being understood that no obligation exists to grant any.
RELATED POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
PRES 2.0 - Honorary Degree Recipients
(was) C 4.7.105
CONTENT OWNER. The primary responsibility for this policy belongs to:
Office of the President
PRIMARY CONTENT CONTRIBUTOR (Director/Dean)
Latest revision 03/2015
Revised for minor edits 3/5/08
Adopted 3/17/94 - Resolution 94-3-2
[Add to Personal Catalog]