Dec 19, 2018
Program Description The Business Studies Certificate is designed for students with limited work experience who are interested in a career in business. It requires introductory level course work in the areas of communications, quantitative skills, human relations/group interaction, and business. It provides an introductory knowledge of business concepts upon which students can add more specialized and advanced concepts. Many courses are available online. This certificate requires successful completion of a minimum of 45 credits as outlined.
|Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds CC certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
General Education Requirements (20 credits)
Communication Skills (10 credits)
OUTCOME: Communicate and interact effectively through a variety of methods appropriate to audience, context, purpose, and field/discipline.
Human Relations and Professional Development Skills (5 credits)
OUTCOME: Act responsibly in applying professional and academic standards associated with personal wellness; sustainable management of resources; and/or with success in educational, workplace, community, and team settings.
QuantitativeAnalysis/Symbolic Reasoning Skills (5 credits)
OUTCOME: Reason clearly using academic or professional modes of inquiry; using quantitative or symbolic reasoning; and/or using other discipline/field specific methods to explore and create ideas; identify information needs; process, evaluate, and use information; and recognize, analyze, and solve problems.
Cultural Diversity Skills
OUTCOME: Explore and apply multiple perspectives in order to examine cultural differences and influences; maintain effective professional/working relationships; and/or interact effectively in multicultural settings.
____Cultural Diversity Requirement met
Program Requirements (25 credits)
- Demonstrate knowledge of the marketing terms, concepts, and processes.
- Create an environment conducive to positive group interaction.
- Apply, analyze, synthesize, and evaluate information to frame and solve business problems.
- Demonstrate a breadth or depth of knowledge and skill, according to the students’ independent selection of degree elective courses or according to the program’s specialized areas of focus.
The program code for this degree is 502D. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
- High School Transition Program Students (Tech Prep, College in the High School, and Running Start) It is recommended that high school students who have earned college credit through dual credit programs meet with a college advisor.
- Courses marked with an (*) may meet a requirement for an Edmonds Community College Associate of Arts degree. Business transfer requirements vary by institution. See a transfer advisor for specific information.
The advisors for this program are:
Claudia Levi | firstname.lastname@example.org | 425.640.1388
Ann Paulson | email@example.com | 425.640.1613
Marie Tran | firstname.lastname@example.org | 425.640.1637
Business Management | www.edcc.edu/mgmt
Certificate General Information
Program of Study Outcomes Edmonds CC’s four General Education Outcomes (Communicate, Act Responsibly, Reason, and Explore) are promoted throughout the college’s programs. Instructional programs of 45 credits or more foster learning in all four General Education Outcomes.
Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Credit/Grade Requirements A minimum of 30 credits or one-third of the required college-level (100-level or above) credits, whichever is less, must be earned at Edmonds CC. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college-level courses.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan your schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice per year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning;
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor; and
- At least three quarters before you plan to graduate, contact any college(s) where you have earned credits and have your official transcript(s) sent to Edmonds CC. Then, submit an Evaluation Request - Transfer Credits Form (available in Enrollment Services) to activate the process of transferring credits to Edmonds CC.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
Common Course Numbering Please refer to www.edcc.edu/ccn for more information.
Cultural Diversity Requirement All students earning a degree or certificate of 45 credits or more must meet a cultural diversity (CD) requirement by taking at least five (5) credits of CD courses. To learn more, go to Academic Information – Cultural Diversity Requirement in the online academic catalog.
Gainful Employment Information may be available for this program.
|Dean’s Signature and Date
||Advisor’s Signature and Date
|Eff: Summer 2017
EPC - 502D
TC - 45
CIP - 520201
Last revised - 2017/02/10