Mar 18, 2018
Program Description The Medical Information Technology (MIT) Certificate is an introductory program designed for those who seek entry-level employment in the medical office field, as well as those currently employed in the medical field who seek additional training. Medical Information Technology courses provide introductory study of medical careers, law/ethics, terminology, documentation, billing/coding, healthcare, and computer applications. This certificate requires successful completion of a minimum of 44 credits as outlined.
|Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds CC certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
Program Requirements (44 credits minimum)
*See Progam Requirements Notes
- Use appropriate technology and technical skills to manage information and solve problems.
- Apply medical concepts and terminology to assigned tasks. Describe and demonstrate concepts and skills applicable to legal, medical ethics, and confidentiality standards.
Program Electives (to complete a total of 44 credits)
The program code for this certificate is 565G. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
- Employment opportunities for MIT Certificate graduates may be found in settings such as physician’s practices, medical clinics, surgical centers, hospitals, insurance companies, managed care organizations, long-term care facilities, and home-health agencies. These settings provide a variety of administrative support positions including medical receptionist, patient registration clerk, medical records clerk, patient accounts representative, medical billing specialist, medical claims clerk, and insurance claims processor.
- Recommended: HIV/AIDS and CPR Certification.
The advisors for this program are:
Stephanie Bevans | email@example.com | 425.640.1346
Kim Haines | firstname.lastname@example.org | 425.640.1293
Kari Meehan | email@example.com | 425.640.1641
Kathie Richer | firstname.lastname@example.org | 425.640.1242
Department website: Business Information Technology | www.edcc.edu/bstec
Certificate General Information
Credit/Grade Requirements A minimum of 30 credits or one-third of the required college-level (100-level or above) credits, whichever is less, must be earned at Edmonds CC. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college-level courses.
Program of Study Outcomes Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan their schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice a year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning; and
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
Common Course Numbering Please refer to www.edcc.edu/ccn for more information.
Gainful Employment Information may be available for this program.
|Dean’s Signature and Date
||Advisor’s Signature and Date
|Eff: Summer 2017
EPC - 565G
TC - 44
CIP - 510716
Last Revised - 2017/02/15