Oct 20, 2018
Program Description Our broad-based curriculum produces skilled people who can move into a wide range of high tech Information Technology careers. Our base curriculum includes: in depth use of MS Office Professional, software support, hardware support, database theory and design, programming using Visual Basic, Web development, networking, and a two course sequence in systems analysis and design. This degree requires successful completion of a minimum of 91 credits as outlined.
|Advising Note This program requirement sheet is not a substitute for meeting with an academic advisor. Meeting the requirements to graduate with an Edmonds CC certificate or degree is ultimately the responsibility of the student.
General Education Requirements (minimum 21 credits)
*See General Education Requirements Note
Communication Skills (minimum 10 credits)
OUTCOME: Communicate and interact effectively through a variety of methods appropriate to audience, context, purpose, and field/discipline.
Human Relations and Professional Development Skills (minimum 6 credits)
OUTCOME: Act responsibly in applying professional and academic standards associated with personal wellness; sustainable management of resources; and/or with success in educational, workplace, community, and team settings.
Quantitative Analysis/Symbolic Reasoning Skills (minimum 5 credits)
OUTCOME: Reason clearly using academic or professional modes of inquiry; using quantitative or symbolic reasoning; and/or using other discipline/field specific methods to explore and create ideas; identify information needs; process, evaluate, and use information; and recognize, analyze, and solve problems.
Cultural Diversity Skills
OUTCOME: Explore and apply multiple perspectives in order to examine cultural differences and influences; maintain effective professional/working relationships; and/or interact effectively in multicultural settings.
____Cultural Diversity Requirement met
Program Requirements (55 credits)
- Demonstrate intermediate abilities in standard office productivity applications.
- Demonstrate intermediate abilities in PC hardware support.
- Demonstrate intermediate abilities in database technologies.
- Implement and apply the systems development lifecycle (SDLC) methods and tools to a given business problem.
- Develop and apply the basic knowledge and skills needed to use business computing, database, and networking concepts in business.
Program Electives (minimum 15 credits)
**See Program Electives Notes
The program code for this degree is 514T. For financial aid, advising, and other reasons, students should work with their advisor to ensure that this code is properly recorded on their academic record.
- Entry Requirements Students entering Computer Information Systems (CIS) programs will need to contact Enrollment Services and take both the English and Math placement tests. Students should bring the results of these tests to their first advising appointment with a CIS advisor for proper placement into the program. In addition, some CIS certificates and degrees begin at an advanced level and are designed for students already in the IT field. Students entering these programs may complete a portfolio of prior learning by taking CIS 116. The portfolio will be used to waive entry-level courses and place students in the appropriate advanced courses. Please see a CIS faculty advisor for more information.
Computer Information Systems | www.edcc.edu/cis
*General Education Requirements Note:
- Human Relations and Professional Development Skills: JOBDV 110 or JOBDV 130 may be substituted for CIS 116 or CIS 280.
**Program Elective Notes:
Associate of Technical Arts General Information
Program of Study Outcomes Edmonds CC’s four General Education Outcomes (Communicate, Act Responsibly, Reason, and Explore) are promoted throughout the college’s programs. Instructional programs of 45 credits or more foster learning in all four General Education Outcomes.
Student achievement is assessed in the general and program specific outcomes via the courses and course objectives that align with those outcomes. More information about program outcomes and course objectives can be found on the Using Program Requirement Sheets page.
Credit/Grade Requirements A minimum of 30 credits or one-third of the required college-level (100-level or above) credits, whichever is less, must be earned at Edmonds CC. Students are required to maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in all college level courses.
Students Are Advised To:
- Plan your schedule several quarters in advance in order to accommodate courses that are offered only once or twice a year;
- Review the college catalog for required course prerequisites and include these in schedule planning;
- Communicate with an academic advisor and/or a faculty advisor; and
- At least three quarters before you plan to graduate, contact any college(s) where you have earned credits and have your official transcript(s) sent to Edmonds CC. Then, submit an Evaluation Request - Transfer Credits Form (available in Enrollment Services) to activate the process of transferring credits to Edmonds CC.
Graduation Application A completed Graduation Application form must be submitted online by the 10th day of the quarter in which the student expects to graduate. Note: Applications for summer quarter are due by the 8th day of the quarter.
Transferring to Another University or College
- This degree is not designed to transfer to another university or college.
- If you are interested in a four-year degree, you should discuss the need for additional requirements with an advisor from the transfer institution.
Common Course Numbering Please refer to www.edcc.edu/ccn for more information.
Cultural Diversity Requirement All students earning a degree or certificate of 45 credits or more must meet a cultural diversity (CD) requirement by taking at least five (5) credits of CD courses. To learn more, go to Academic Information – Cultural Diversity Requirement in the online academic catalog.
|Dean’s Signature and Date
||Advisor’s Signature and Date
|Eff: Summer 2017
EPC - 514T
TC - 91
CIP - 110301
Last revised - 2017/02/23